The village of Swanton lies in Fulton and Lucas counties in the north-western part of Ohio and is a prime location to use as a base to discover all that the area has to offer. It is most famous for one of its deceased residents, A.D. Baker, who was a steam engine inventor and ran a machine shop in Swanton from 1901 to 1953. Visitors to the other will find many different things to see and do whether your interests lie in the history and heritage of the region or prefer to take advantage of the surrounding countryside for more energetic outdoor pursuits.
Those with an interest in all things cultural may have to travel further afield than Swanton itself to the city of Toledo, which is within easy access of the village, where you will find a multitude of museums, exhibitions and art galleries covering a wide range of subject matters. If you have an interest in visiting local heritage sites then the Fort Meigs State Memorial is also not far away and this is a reconstruction of the original fort that was built on the Maumee River by William Henry Harrison in 1813. Its purpose was to protect north-western Ohio and neighboring Indiana from invasion by the British colonial forces. Uniquely, it is constructed entirely from logs and it is one of the forts of this kind in the country covering a 10-acre log enclosure alongside seven blockhouses and five emplacements which made it an intimidating force for potential invaders to reckon with. However, despite its formidable nature two attempts were made to breach its defenses and both failed leaving the British to retreat completely after the second attack. In modern times, visitors to the site will find exhibits detailing the history of the fort and its occupants in days gone by and explaining its significant role in the war of 1812. There are also original artifacts on display that were received from the original construction.
In keeping with the heritage theme, Swanton Memorial Park is also worth a visit as this is home to one of the renowned sculptured creations of the legendary E.M Viquesney. He is most famous for his collection of statues that follow the theme -“Spirit of the American Doughboy” – and this particular statue was donated to the village as a gift from France. The French wanted to pay homage to the U.S towns and cities who lost many local men and boys when they went off to fight in World War I and this particular statue depicts a soldier advancing through the stumps and barbed wire associated with No Man’s Land, while raising a grenade in one hand and holding a rifle in the other. It has remained a popular feature in the park since it was installed in the park in 1926. Ali Creek runs through the park which also offers many recreational facilities including a several soccer fields and baseball diamonds. Swanton’s Pilliod Park is another pleasant place to enjoy the outdoors with its gazebos and paved walkways but it is also home to the village’s famous red caboose – a manned rail transport vehicle connected to the end of freight train in days past.